- This event has passed.
April 23 at 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Monday, April 23rd, Reception at 6 pm
Free showing of Wasted! followed by a panel discussion
Doors at 6 pm, with snacks from the Honest Weight Food Co Op and music from Jack Empie and Friends, Screening starts at 7 pm
NYSAR3 Food Recovery Campaign:
The New York State Association for Reduction, Reuse, and Recycling (NYSAR³) is leading a state-wide Food Recovery Campaign to reduce wasted food, redirect surplus food to hungry New Yorkers. This is in keeping with the top tiers of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s food recovery hierarchy. The Campaign strives to engage stakeholders across the state to better understand the root causes of wasted food and to collaboratively develop strategies for source reduction and donation. We are happy to support showings of Wasted across New York State. To get involved in the Campaign, visit http://www.nysar3.org/page/food-recovery-121.html and contact one of the working group chairs.
WASTED! THE STORY OF FOOD WASTE aims to change the way people buy, cook, recycle, and eat food. Through the eyes of chef-heroes like Bourdain, Dan Barber, Mario Batali, Massimo Bottura, and Danny Bowien, audiences will see how the world’s most influential chefs make the most of every kind of food, transforming what most people consider scraps into incredible dishes that create a more secure food system. WASTED! exposes the criminality of food waste and how it’s directly contributing to climate change and shows us how each of us can make small changes – all of them delicious – to solve one of the greatest problems of the 21st Century.
AICP Certification Maintenance Credits CM 2.5
AICP members can earn Certification Maintenance (CM) credits for this activity [or many activities at this event]. When CM credits are available, they are noted at the end of an activity description. More information about AICP’s CM program can be found at www.planning.org/cm
AICP members must be in attendance for the duration of the event to receive CM Credit.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York State Association of Reduction, Reuse and Recycling
- University at Albany Office of Sustainability
- University at Albany Department of Geography and Planning
- FoodScraps360 Food Rescue
- Long Table Harvest
- CDPA • Capital District Planning Association
- GPSA • Graduate Planning Student Association
- Honest Weight, Co-op, Food, TBD
Moderator: Robert Murphy
Adjunct Lecturer, University at Albany
Chef and Food Systems Policy and Planning Advocate
Panelists (after screening, in alphabetical order):
- Lauren Alpert, City of Albany, Senior Planner, Planning and Development Department
- Audrey Berman, Long Table Harvest, Organic Composting http://longtableharvest.org/index.php
- Dr. Beth Feingold, University at Albany, Department of Environmental Health Sciences
- Gary Feinland, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Amy Klein, Chief Executive Officer, Capital Roots http://www.capitalroots.org/
- Dr. Mary Ellen Mallia, University at Albany, Office of Sustainability
- Sonia Sandoval, President, FoodScraps360, Food Rescue http://www.foodscraps360.com/